Manager Health & Safety
Join the Nellson team, and Become Part of Our Winning Team of Professionals!
At Nellson, we invest in highly talented people, and provide them with opportunities to continuously learn and grow to realize their full potential.
Our state-of-the-art facilities, warehouses, and corporate offices offer a knowledgeable and professional environment to employees. By joining our performance-oriented team, you will be able to put your expertise to use and positively impact many groups across our production process
We currently have an exciting opportunity on the Nellson team! We are seeking an energetic and results oriented Manager Health & Safety who will serve as a key member of the Human Resource Executive team and will have the opportunity to grow into multi-plant responsibility.
This is the opportunity to build a "world class" safety programs and a "Safety first" culture for this new state of the art manufacturing facility with 200+ employees in Ontario, California. Reporting to the Director of HS & E on a solid line and a dotted line to the Senior Director of Operations, the successful candidate will serve as a key member of the Human Resource Executive team and will have the opportunity to grow into multi-plant responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strong safety programs for this manufacturing site.
- Assist in driving a strong safety culture across the company.
- Guide the Human Resources Business partner at the site on local Health and Safety administration. (I.e. light duty, OHSA log)
- Provides technical safety and health and safety support and information to production personnel.
- Counsel Local Management and conduct ongoing audits to ensure ongoing compliance with local, state and federal compliance.
- Monitor lost-time injuries/illnesses and workers compensation claims.
- Develop internal communications in regard to Health and Safety.
- Identifies company safety training and coordinate safety training programs.
- Attend site Leadership meetings to reinforce the Safety Culture.
- Serve on local Management team chaired by the Senior Director of Operations.
- Develop annual KPI targets and actions plans to reach site goals.
- Provide guidance in Risk Management to the local Management.
- Leads and guides the local Health and Safety committee.
- Assists as necessary in implementation of a Hazard communications program and applicable reports.
- Establishes and maintains local Safety library.
- Advises local plant leadership in the selection of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Supports plant engineering to implement engineering controls to minimize safety and occupational hazards.
Qualifications & Experience
- 5+ years of Health and Safety experience in a manufacturing environment.
- A thorough understanding of and experience with local, state and federal government legal compliance and regulatory certifications.
- A proven track record in developing, implementing and leading health and safety risk management programs.
- Experience and track record working as an individual contributor and working in a matrix organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with cross divisional teams.
- The knowledge and ability to promote a culture of continuous improvement and to lead by example a positive Safety culture.
- Knowledge and experience with implementing Safety software programs.
- Excellent MS skills including Word, Excel and Power point.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field (Engineering and Masters preferred).
- Bilingual (required)
- Self-directed, change agent, energizer
- Hands On
- Visions / strategizes while driving directives at a granular level
- Highly organized / proven multi-tasker
- Technically proficient (self manages)
- Proven leadership skills engages staff but with confidence and authority
- Mobilizer can quickly assess a situation, required resources and drive execution
- High energy
- Strategic agility
- Multi-tasker can handle multiple priorities
- Good interpersonal skills